One Phat Grrl

onephatgrrl@yahoo.com

Thursday, May 01, 2003

You know, after several days of feeling all sad and blue..something really really good happens.


I guess first, let me talk about the latest in a series of crap to fall on the heads of mi familia. My sister (Marianne) is married to a man named Ron. They have been married 4 years as of April 19th. In my November journal, you might (or maybe not) have seen an entry about his mom passing away. She basically quit taking her dialysis and went in to renal failure. She died at her home--everything seemed to be ok with Ron (he isn't known for his ability to handle really stressful situations)..that is until this past week. He went over to him mom's house with his brother to start the process of boxing up her things so they can sell the house. Well, I guess the realization that his mom is not coming back caught up with him--and he wigged. Basically, he was contemplating suicide on Saturday. His brother called and he told him--long story short, he took him to the hospital and called us in the middle of the zoo to tell Marianne. My sister handled the situation really well, I must admit. The attending at the hospital sent him home with some pills to help him sleep (he wasn't sleeping well at all) and a promise that Ron would not only get back on his medication but continue on with counseling that he had quit back in July of last year.


Well, Tuesday Ron contemplated again (suicide). This time, he was going to take the meds they gave him from the hospital. Once again, his brother was able to intervene. He had a doctors appointment that day anyway, so he went. His doctor referred him to a Psychiatrist from a hospital downtown. He went in and met with him....they have committed him for 3-10 days at this point. Again, my sister seemed ok last night when I spoke with her. She knows this is the best thing for him--she certainly doesn't need to come home and find him dead in the floor. I just wish my sister could get a friggggggggin break. Ya know? I mean, come on. I keep saying over and over in my head, "If God brings you to it, he will bring you through it", repeating it like a mantra that will somehow make this all ok (yes, feeling mellow dramatic).


But then again, you wanna really say sometimes---fuckin aaaa!


At any rate--I have to tell you about the high point of my day.


I've been reading this journal for quite some time now. A few months back I was really taken with one of her journal entries about her daughter being bullied at school. I had just finished reading a book called Please Stop Laughing At Me by Jodee Blanco and decided to send it to her and her daughter to read. I was hoping that she (her daughter) would see that she was not alone..lots of people have been bullied and while it is NOT right, you can and will be ok. Well, they got the book--loved it (albeit sappy in a few parts) and her daughter has read it twice since she got it. She emailed me this morning to tell me the most incredible news---her daughter had contacted the author and the author called back--and get this---IS COMING TO MEET HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I was blown away, you could have pushed my 260 pound body right over with a feather. I was on the verge of tears for several minutes as I read this email--she thanked me for giving them the book...and you know what. It felt so good. It's the best I've felt in weeks...


This truly is one more thing for me to be thankful for. I made a difference to her in her situation and for that, I am the one who is thankful.